Re: Our ALPN protocol IDs

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 11:04:59 +1100
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>

On 6 Dec 2013, at 4:49 am, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> wrote:

> Well, is HTTP/2.1 going to be “incompatible” with HTTP/2.0?
> (Mark seems to think there is some form of compatibility as long as we don’t change the major version.
> That’s why I’d like to see something written up about the evolution model, even if it is by nature going to be tentative.)

No - what I'm trying to say is that the notion of a minor version in a protocol like HTTP is a red herring; at most it's a marketing "package" to denote new features.

If changes are backwards-compatible, there's no need to change the protocol identifier on the wire; if they aren't, it's not a minor revision.

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/