Re: What will incentivize deployment of explicit proxies?

On 3/12/13 12:00 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> For enterprises, the new trend is apparently to allow users to use their
>> personal devices. These devices would be outside the normal administrative
>> chain and would likely cause headaches.
> I'd temper the enthusiastic reporting of BYOD by consulting entities a lot.
>
> BYOD is a way to allow VIPs to bring their own status-enhancing
> gold-plated trendy devices at work instead of being limited to the
> dirt-cheap greyboxes they allowed their IT services to purchase for
> everyone else.
Looking around IETF meetings, I see a lot of Macs and quite a few
machines running Linux, even with people from big companies. Are we all
VIPs? There are not the dirt-cheap greyboxes.
> For the average enterprise minion BYOD does not exist or is
> strictly limited to configurations that are affectively identical to
> whatever those enterprises used to provide.
Mostly true for laptops, but people's phones are very often tolerated.

Yoav