Re: I revised the pro/contra document

Alexandre,

There is a processing overhead associated with encryption - I've seen up to a 40% speed penalty for printers, for example. When applied to streaming of large files like movies (which already have their own layer of protections), that generally means the provider needs more servers with hardware accelerated TLS, and similarly more processing needs to be done on each client which may limit the quality/quantity of video that can be played. And imagine the increased power usage - not the direction most people are trying to go...

Aside from the basic resource issues, consider printing again. Most printers are not used in environments that need encryption. Those that do often do not have stable addresses or host names, making authentication and certificate management a greater challenge. So for printers I have personally fought hard for all TLS support but not necessarily to enable it by default.

Sent from my iPad