Re: Call for Proposals re: #314 HTTP2 and http:// URIs on the "open" internet

From: Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:21:08 +0200
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 07:06:59AM +0100, Eliot Lear wrote:

> I'm a little concerned about backward compatibility with this approach.
> There do exist many web sites that offer different content today on the
> two ports.  Are you suggesting that they would become non-compliant?

There is HTTP vs. HTTPS indication in the bytestream itself (:scheme, IIRC).

Also, in some situations, the application protocols might not appreciate if
client and server can't agree on HTTP vs. HTTPS...

There's another problem tho. Many present websites don't like requests for
HTTP URLs over TLS (I tested what one does[1]: It returns a default page with
200 status, Ouch).

[1] That website is using PHP (FastCGI) on top of Apache (mod_ssl).

-Ilari