Re: something I don't get about the current plan...

That is fairly sad. I was able to do this with a shell script and 20
seconds of thought the other day.

In any case, I think that Mike was talking about the ability of a properly
implemented endpoint to traverse the internet reliably.
Certainly there may be difficulty in getting a properly implemented
endpoint, but experiences thusfar shows that it isn't unsurmountable given
the wide and successful deployment of HTTPS and various other protocols
over TLS.
-=R