Re: something I don't get about the current plan...

I'm not 100% sure I read your question right, but I think I get it.

The difference is between what breaks the server, what breaks in the
client, and what breaks in the middleware.  The middleware is the nasty
stuff that blocks us worst, the two parties that are trying to communicate
(e.g. the client and server) can't fix it.

So, the 10% failure rate by running non-HTTP/1.1 over port 80 or by running
on port 100 would be because you setup your server properly and the
*client* can't
connect to you because the middleware is broken.

But ~100% of clients can current connect over port 443, navigate the
middleware, negotiate HTTP/2, and work just fine.

Mike