Re: Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

From: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 19:24:32 -0800
To: Frédéric Kayser <f.kayser@free.fr>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
As far as I've seen, most small businesses get little enough traffic that
they wouldn't notice any difference w.r.t CPU usage.
.. and if it bothers them, they'd use HTTP/1.1 for web stuff, or are
already doing so.

In any case, it is extremely likely that HTTP/2.0 on port 80 is nearly
undeployable for the web today. There are too many MITM proxies out there
that expect port 80 to carry only a subset of HTTP/1.1, and make a mess of
anything else.

So, any web deployment of HTTP/2 that is going to be reliable WILL use
encryption, and WILL incur the cost of encryption.

.. as such, the only real question here is simply about authentication.

I do expect that we'll see HTTP/2.0 in the clear, but that would be inside
of a VPN or other private network, and Mark's original email was talking
about the web usecase.

-=R