Re: Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

As far as I've seen, most small businesses get little enough traffic that
they wouldn't notice any difference w.r.t CPU usage.
.. and if it bothers them, they'd use HTTP/1.1 for web stuff, or are
already doing so.

In any case, it is extremely likely that HTTP/2.0 on port 80 is nearly
undeployable for the web today. There are too many MITM proxies out there
that expect port 80 to carry only a subset of HTTP/1.1, and make a mess of
anything else.

So, any web deployment of HTTP/2 that is going to be reliable WILL use
encryption, and WILL incur the cost of encryption.

.. as such, the only real question here is simply about authentication.

I do expect that we'll see HTTP/2.0 in the clear, but that would be inside
of a VPN or other private network, and Mark's original email was talking
about the web usecase.

-=R