Re: Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

On Nov 13, 2013, at 8:56 PM, Frédéric Kayser <f.kayser@free.fr> wrote:

> May I ask if encryption is a free operation? or (as I suspect) does it impact CPU usage and therefore power consumption on both (servers and clients) sides, possibly increasing server rooms electricity bills, reducing smartphones autonomy and make F5 Networks stocks surge.

IMO, of the various concerns raised so far, this is one of the more lower-priority ones, because:

1. Encryption is a "free operation" (to an extent) if the hardware supports it.
2. People's lives are more important than an electricity bill (I know, however, that many disagree on this one).

That's not to say that I think the this proposal is a brilliant one.

I do support encrypting HTTP (even mandating it), but it must be done correctly, not in some half-assed way that just unnecessarily complicates everyone's life and doesn't actually improve today's security.

- Greg