Re: Question on flow control for a single file transfer

Peter,

On Nov 3, 2013, at 11:04 PM, Peter Lepeska <bizzbyster@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a receiver cannot absorb any more data, it will not make a buffer available to TCP.
>
> Don't forget that in HTTP 1.x we don't do flow control. We leave that to the transport layer and this works well. Layering flow control on top of flow control can only result in slower flows. This slowdown is necessary when two or more streams are being sent at once but let's not take this hit in the simple case of one stream.

The problem with relying on TCP-based flow control is that you are forcing retransmissions and log-jamming all access to the other end.  If instead you send your file in chunks sized to the receiver’s capabilities then you can either a) do other useful work or b) go to sleep until the receiver tells you it can accept more data.  Add a small amount of rate-tracking code on the sending side and you should be able to keep the receiver window near full.