Re: should tools like wget implement HTTP 2.0?

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013, bizzbyster@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there any reason why HTTP file transfer clients like curl and wget should
> ever implement 2.0?

I can't speak for wget, but I'm the primary curl developer. We will certainly
support HTTP2 and we're already in progress[1].

As has been mentioned already, these tools are used a lot like diagnostics
tools and as command line versions of getting things done like a browser. When
browsers do HTTP2, we need tools that can do HTTP2 as well.

when the "browser-web" moves to HTTP2, there's a big risk that the plain HTTP
side of sites and services will be left behind and thus I find it very likely
that in N years into the future, getting things with HTTP2 like the browsers
do, will be more likely to succeed than asking for the same thing over old
HTTP.

Finally, curl is actually built on libcurl which is a transfer library that
works as a foundation to hundreds or thousands of applications and many of
them will in fact benefit from the HTTP2 features much more than the curl
command line tool will. Offering HTTP2 support for them is obvious to us.

[1] = http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2013-09/0020.html

--

  / daniel.haxx.se