Re: additional mechanisms on top of the auth framework, was: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-24

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:12:50 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>
CC: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>, secdir <secdir@ietf.org>, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>, "Mankin, Allison" <amankin@verisign.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 2013-10-31 16:05, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> On 2013-10-31 15:44, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>>> I think doing s/encryption/authentication/ instead would be better.
>>> There is no reason to discuss confidentiality here. Encryption and other
>>> cryptographic techniques are used in many authentication schemes, like
>>> with client certificates; that may have been the idea behind the text.
>>
>> "authentication on the transport layer"?
>
> Applying my suggestion would make the text read,
>
>     The HTTP protocol does not restrict applications to this simple
>     challenge-response framework for access authentication. Additional
>     mechanisms MAY be used, such as authentication at the transport
>     level or via message encapsulation, and with additional header fields
>     specifying authentication information. However, such additional
>     mechanisms are not defined by this specification.
>
> (The MAY might be better as "can".)

OK, applied with
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/2463>.

Best regards, Julian