Re: proxies and forwarding of credentials, was: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-24

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>On 2013-10-29 20:35, Stephen Kent wrote:
>> In Section 4.3, the text says:
>>
>> A proxy MAY relay
>>
>> the credentials from the client request to the next proxy if that is
>>
>> the mechanism by which the proxies cooperatively authenticate a given
>>
>> request.
>>
>> If, as stated here, a set of proxies cooperatively authenticate a
>> request, then isn’t this a MUST vs. a MAY?
>
>Maybe. I have no experience with proxy authentication, and this piece of
>text was copied from
><http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.14.34>.
>
>Perhaps this is a case where we should drop the RFC2119 keywords [...]

Ordinarily a proxy is not supposed to forward the `Proxy-Authorization`
header and an implementation that forwards it by accident fails to meet
the requirements of the specification, so use of RFC 2119 keywords seems
appropriate to me. I also see nothing wrong with the proxy offering an
configuration option to, say, relay the credentials for some users, but
not for others, so this cannot be a MUST. I think the text is fine.