proxies and forwarding of credentials, was: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-24

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:43:42 +0100
To: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>, secdir <secdir@ietf.org>, fielding@gbiv.com, mnot@pobox.com, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>, "Mankin, Allison" <amankin@verisign.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 2013-10-29 20:35, Stephen Kent wrote:
> In Section 4.3, the text says:
>
> A proxy MAY relay
>
> the credentials from the client request to the next proxy if that is
>
> the mechanism by which the proxies cooperatively authenticate a given
>
> request.
>
> If, as stated here, a set of proxies cooperatively authenticate a
> request, then isnít this a MUST vs. a MAY?

Maybe. I have no experience with proxy authentication, and this piece of
text was copied from
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.14.34>.

Perhaps this is a case where we should drop the RFC2119 keywords and
just make a statement such as:

"A proxy can relay the credentials from the client request to the next
proxy if that is the mechanism by which the proxies cooperatively
authenticate a given request."

?

Best regards, Julian