Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http2-encryption-00.txt

I went ahead and jotted down some notes into a draft that might help
clarify what I am thinking about for making optimistic TLS notifications in
DNS instead of HTTP headers. If people like this idea, I'll pursue it; if
not, I'm happy to let it die.

--Paul Hoffman

Filename:     draft-hoffman-trytls
Revision:     00
Title:         Optimistic Encryption using TLS Signaling in the DNS
Creation date:     2013-10-14
Group:         Individual Submission
Number of pages: 4
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-trytls-00

Abstract:
  Many Internet servers offer content in two transports: unencryped,
  and encrypted with TLS.  A user who accesses some content with a URL
  that indicates unencrypted (such as "http:") might prefer to get the
  content encrypted but doesn't bother to change the URL to indicate
  this.  This proposal allows Internet clients, particularly web
  clients and mail user agents, to do a DNS lookup to see whether they
  might expect content for a particular host to also be available under
  TLS.  Using the DNS for this is much faster than attempting a TLS
  session that might time out or take many round trips in order to
  discover that the content is not available.