Re: Issues addressed in the -24 drafts (and getting to IETF Last Call)

On 28/09/2013 9:37 a.m., Ilari Liusvaara wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 04:38:28PM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> Please have a look at the issues below; barring objections, I'll close them.
>>
>> Issues are linked from <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/report/15>.
>>
>> non-specific
>> #475  Strengthening SHOULDs
> Content-Range with PUT is used in the wild.

A very good reason for the MUST being added. Such implementations are
not interoperable with middleware lacking Range support.

> Specifically, often to upload huge amounts of data (I have seen 36GB+
> transfer lasting for days) with client being able to resume transfer
> from where it left off if the connection fails partway for any reason.
>
> Here's docs for one:
> https://developers.google.com/youtube/2.0/developers_guide_protocol_resumable_uploads

Which is severaly broken. Any application which attempts to do that
through a framework that auto-redirects following the standard for 308
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-http-status-308-07) will find
themselves in an infinite loop of repeated PUT + "Content-Range: bytes
*/*" as they are instructed by the 308 to repeat the request without
changing it.

Amos