Re: #468 p2: Expectation extensions

On Sep 12, 2013, at 12:25 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2013-09-12 20:36, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> My suggestion is that we remove the extension syntax and leave a
>> requirement that anything other than "100-continue" SHOULD be
>
> But the servers that ignore Expect today will continue to be broken, right?

Yes.  My earlier suggestion was to remove the MUST-417 requirement
along with the extension syntax, and leave it with a MAY-417 if
the field contains anything other than "100-continue".

>> given a response of 417 unless it indicates a private extension
>> recognized and implemented by the recipient.  The extension syntax
>> is problematic because it doesn't look at all like 100-continue
>> and implies that extensions will actually work.  They won't.
>
> What part of the syntax are you referring to? Anything beyond "expect-name"?

Anything beyond "100-continue".

The problem I am dealing with is that the non-interoperable
discussion of expectation-extension parameters and requirements
on forwarding Expect completely obscures the only real purpose
remaining for this field and prevents intermediaries from
handling 100-continue on behalf of downstream 1.0 recipients.

My preferred solution is to remove the garbage, define
100-continue, allow it to be processed by intermediaries,
and leave a Note behind to explain the failed extension
mechanism and usage of 417.

....Roy