Re: [tsvwg] The List (of application-layer desired features)

From: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:58:59 +0200
Cc: Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>, Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>
To: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Hi,

I agree 100% with Michael Tuexen here... just one thing, in line:

>> You're right, SCTP is non-deployable, which makes it a non-starter.  SCTP also does not address handshake issues or TLS issues.
> I agree that SCTP over IP can't be deployed now due to missing NAT support.

Indeed that's not an argument against SCTP/UDP/IP, but I also wonder why, instead of saying "can't be deployed", people don't just go ahead and use it whenever it's there and works, with a fall-back to TCP? This could be done with (this version of) Happy Eyeballs:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-tsvwg-happy-eyeballs-sctp-02

Good reasons against doing this are... what? Anyone?

Cheers,
Michael