Re: http methods

On 2013-08-13 09:30, William Chan (陈智昌) wrote:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-method-registrations-12
> seems to have the current method registrations. I'm not a web services
> guy, so my ignorance is expected, but wow, I didn't realize there were
> so many. Can someone explain if all these are truly necessary?

Are they all needed? No. Are some of them needed? Yes.

Is there any gain by "removing" them? No. HTTP components do not need to
understand "extension" methods in order to properly deal with them.

> I'm asking this since a colleague of mine wrote this blog post
> (http://www.onebigfluke.com/2013/08/lets-remove-verbs-from-http-20.html), so
> I decided to look into it a bit. Note that I recognize that HTTP/2.0 is
> not the place to remove methods, but I'm curious if there has been any
> effort to simply HTTP by removing some exotic methods. If so, I think
> that'd be nice.

Removing uncommon methods doesn't simplify HTTP any more then removing
uncommon status codes or header fields.

> I'm not really looking to champion a simplification effort here since I
> have other bike sheds more worthy of my paint, but I just wanted to see
> if it'd be easy to drop some unused methods.
>
> Cheers.

Best regards, Julian