Re: [#193] Request payloads and push

On 2013-08-12 21:01, Martin Thomson wrote:
> There's been something of a long thread on github about this topic,
> that Will was unsuccessful in moving over here.  Let me try again.
>
> https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/193
>
> Julian summarized the issue quite cogently as:
>> [...] HTTP/1.1 allows safe methods with payload, so if we decide that
>> in HTTP/2.0 we want to allow PUSH for safe methods, we shouldn't
>> rule out that they could have payloads.
>
> I'm just going to throw out the obvious counter argument here, namely:
>
> HTTP/2.0 doesn't allow push for safe methods, it allows push for safe
> methods that do not have request bodies.
>
> And then we see what happens.  Commence!

Both are statements of fact.

My point is that unless we have a very good reason to disallow something
possible in HTTP/1.1, we shouldn't.

If we do, people will find workarounds, such as pushing a base64
representation of the payload into a (probably ad-hoc) request header field.

Best regards, Julian