Re: NEW ISSUE: Define "ought to"

On 7/30/2013 5:29 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> The point being that "ought to" being just prose, while "SHOULD" being
> defined by RFC 2119. Both of them having roughly the same meaning in
> English sounds absolutely right to me.

Well, the choice of non-normative vocabulary would do better to be for
words and phrasing that are not too easily confused with the normative
terms.  Cognitive separation will help the reader.

Since this is a continuing issue in the IETF, Tony Hansen recruited me
to work on a document to help folk:

    Non-Normative Synonyms in RFCs

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hansen-nonkeywords-non2119-02

In looking at this thread, I'm thinking we should take out the word
'ought'...

d/

--
Dave Crocker