Re: HTTP router point-of-view concerns

In message <20130713093134.GK32054@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:

>> >Not really in fact. While I tend to generally agree with the points
>> >you make for scalability, this one does not scale. One of the big
>> >benefits of cookies is that client is responsible for synchronizing
>> >information between multiple servers *if needed*.
>>
>> Since when has a minor scalability issue for Big Companies
>> become more important than end-users privacy ?
>
>Huh ? What end-user privacy issue do you see in having the DC and
>server id in a cookie ? This is totally irrelevant.

You should read up on why EU decided to go in and regulate cookie
use, not everybody use them the way you seem to do:

http://www.ico.org.uk/~/media/documents/library/Privacy_and_electronic/Practical_application/cookies_guidance_v3.pdf

We can agree or disagree about the wisdom of the actual regulation
enacted, but I think their rationale for why regulation was needed
is pretty spot on:  Cookies were being used to strip users of
any resemblance of privacy.

IETF and HTTPbis should grasp a clue from this, and make sure that
in HTTP/2.0 Cookies are stored where they belong:  In the server
end, and that a session-concept, 100% under the users control
is replacing it.