Re: HTTP router point-of-view concerns

I think it is perfectly reasonable for an intermediary to set the
compression size to zero if it wishes.

Market forces will (in the long-term) pick the correct strategy for this--
assuming the compression is effective at reducing latency, and that people
care about latency reductions, then eventually intermediaries might evolve
to use it.
If it is ineffective at reducing latency, or if reduced latency is not
actually desirable, then intermediaries would not use it.

The DoS vector you're talking about is not a DoS vector if the intermediary
resets all streams before the change-of-state-size comes into effect.
When the state size is 0, one should be able to use some kinds of 'indexed'
representations, so long as those representations refer only to items in
the static tables. Why do you believe that this would use more or less CPU?
(It should use less CPU and less memory...)

Headers are unbounded in HTTP. If any header is too large, there are only
two options:
1) terminate the connection
2) send a RST for that request and shove the bytes through the compressor.
This can be done in a streaming fashion so long as the recipient is smart
enough to tease out the instruction boundaries (not too hard, and certainly
no more difficult than interpreting HTTP/1.0 header fields). Assuming that
the state size is 0, these bytes can instead by discarded and do not need
to be interpreted at all.