Re: NEW ISSUE: Clarify whether request must be processed before responding with redirection codes

On 04/07/2013 10:01 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2013-07-04 15:44, cowwoc wrote:

>>> How so?
>>>
>>> 303 always implied GET. 301, 302, and 307 never implied GET.
>>>
>>> The only change we made is to allow 301 and 302 to rewrite POST to GET
>>> (because that's what UAs do).
>>>
>>> Best regards, Julian
>>>

>>      I think you misunderstood what I meant. In HTTP 2.0, the following
>> sentence was added to the description of HTTP 303: "This status code is
>> applicable to any HTTP method."
>
> You are referring to the revision of HTTP/1.1, not HTTP/2.0, right?

     Yes. Comparing
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.3.4 to
https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/draft-ietf-httpbis/latest/p2-semantics.html#status.303
I see this new sentence.

>>      Meaning, although it was originally meant to be returned in
>> response to HTTP POST, it is now legal to return from HTTP
>> GET/PUT/DELETE as well. At least, that is my interpretation.
>
> It was always legal to return it for something different than POST.
> The change that we made was in order to clarify that
>
> "This method exists primarily to allow the output of a POST-activated
> script to redirect the user agent to a selected resource." (RFC 2616)
>
> does not imply that it's for POST only. See
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2007JulSep/0048.html> for
> context.
>
> Best regards, Julian

     I understand. I'm saying that the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post/Redirect/Get paradigm is well
understood but once you open the door to HTTP GET/PUT/DELETE it brings
up the question of what it all means. It's not that this wasn't possible
in the past. It's that returning HTTP 303 from these other methods isn't
common or well understood yet.

Gili