Re: p6: Returning the freshest response

From: Ken Murchison <murch@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:02:36 -0400
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 29 March 2013 08:24, Ken Murchison <murch@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> So the (my) question is, what can/should a cache do with multiple stored
>> the cache use proactive content negotiation headers provided in the request
>> to select the stored response that the client would prefer?  Or should the
>> cache not select a response and punt it to the origin server per Section
>> 4.2?
>>

> An origin server is required to include a Vary header if conneg is
> possible, even if conneg isn't used.

Hi Martin,

The current language in
https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/draft-ietf-httpbis/latest/p2-semantics.html#proactive.negotiation
(MAY) and
https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/draft-ietf-httpbis/latest/p2-semantics.html#header.vary
(SHOULD)
don't seem to make it a requirement.  However, the SHOULD certainly
suggests best practice.

That notwithstanding, unless Mark's example omitted the Vary headers for
brevity, my question still stands.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer