Re: Header compression: buffer management

As others have pointed out, one cannot simply trust the encoder to do the
right thing.
As a result, either some eviction policy needs to be used (e.g. LRU), or
agood, reliable, detection mechanism must be used which doesn't have
false-positives and which only disconnects malicious users.

I have doubts that one can correctly identify malicious endpoints, and so I
chose the eviction policy based route.

The choice of eviction policy ends up having a large effect on the amount
of overhead necessary for the compressor/decompressor. In the case of LRU,
it is feasible to write all bytes into a single buffer, trading off space
for speed.

 An LRU doesn't *require* this tradeoff, however-- one could trade space
for CPU and use a map or hashmap for entries, reducing lookup time from
O(n) to O(lg(n)) or O(1) (avg case).

LRU is also one of the simplest eviction policies possible...

Also... it is theoretically possible to manage entries in the buffer with
delta that *don't* appear in the currrent headers. I've just not written an
encoder which does so.You'd do this by inserting the key-value and
immediately declare that it isn't part of the current headers...
-=R