Re: HTTP/2 Header Encoding Status Update

From: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:23:15 +0000 (UTC)
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Yoav Nir <ynir@...> writes:

> Machines store date & time information in internal formats. Whatever
bits-on-the-wire format we use,
> machines will convert their internal format to the protocol format on sending,
and convert to their
> internal format when receiving. I see no reason why we should use on the wire
a format that is readable by
> humans, when the communications is between machines.

Yet so far implementors have been humans not machines. Posix timestamp is
efficient because it is simple. But it is so simple human implementors are not
careful and get it wrong. I have zero confidence anything using posix timestamps
will be correctly implemented in the wild.

If you want a binary format at least take something like ntp, which has not been
abused for years by php and windows developers that do not care if the result is
correct as long as it looks somewhat right.

--
Nicolas Mailhot