Re: #38 - HTTP2 min value for server supported max_concurrent_streams

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> wrote:

>  Hi
>
>  Thinking it over, even a minimal server that can only handle one request
> at a time can be accommodated by the current document. Such a server would
> send a SETTINGS frame ASAP, and would process incoming streams one by one.
> Streams where we get frames before the FLAG_FIN of a previous stream would
> get a RST. But GETs are more numerous than POSTs, so bodies tend to be
> empty. Until its SETTINGS is processed by the client, the requests will
> mostly be just SYN_STREAM frames with the FLAG_FIN set, and they can be
> handled sequentially. Depending on how the MUSTs and SHOULDs are phrased,
> this may or may not be compliant, but it would be interoperable with any
> HTTP/2 client.
>
>  Back to the issue, I don't think any number makes sense other than 1. So
> if we can't wait the round-trip, we might as well set no initial limit, and
> leave it up to the application (client) to decide how many are prudent
> initially.

As a server owner, that (unlimited) makes me a bit afraid-- I want to set a
high enough default that we don't cause additional latency most of the
time, but also small enough that I can catch misbehaving or malicious
parties in bad behavior as quickly as possible.
We picked 100 originally as it was the nearest power-of-something-familiar
where the limit was greater than the average number of resources on a page,
and it is reasonable for a server to reject what it needs to.
Sadly, we have experience with this already-- we have at least one domain
where the maximum concurrency is limited to 10, and so we do already have
experience in the scenario where the default is higher than we intend to
run with. It causes no real problems.

> But instead the spec should make it clear that having a stream reset with REFUSED_STREAM
> or some such is not a fatal error, and the client should try again with a
> new stream. Servers should be advised to send the SETTINGS frame before
> sending any RST, so that the client doesn't retry when too many (in the
> server's opinion) streams are open.

Agreed-- if the spec isn't already clear about it must be fixed!
-=R