Re: Upgrade status for impl draft 1

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:43:42 +0100
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 03:33:23PM +0100, Eliot Lear wrote:
> Willy,
> Putting aside the rest of your post...
> On 2/22/13 8:02 AM, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > If 2->1 proxies
> > are deployed, then we lose all benefits for 2.0 by terminating the
> > optimizations close to the client.
>  Consider the case of 3G clients, where header compression might
> actually provide 3g (and other low bandwidth) h/w a boost.

I'm well aware of this one, but it's already covered by devices installed
in place at providers, and would be much better handled by having an
explicit proxy configured (to save a DNS lookup and optimize connection
reuse) than just relying on the magic we need to detect the rest of the
world's compatibility.