Re: Multi-GET, extreme compression?

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 14:18:33 -0500
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi Phillip,

--On February 16, 2013 1:01:59 PM -0500 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<hallam@gmail.com> wrote:

> And the typical communication pattern of a browser would be:
>

> GET /toplevel.html
> MGET </image1.jpg /image2.jpg ...>
>

> Given this particular communication pattern which has an implicit delta
> encoding, do we really need to worry about a separate delta encoding?

We added a multiget REPORT to CalDAV (RFC4791) and CardDAV (RFC6352) which
is used by clients when sync'ing a lot of resources (e.g., initial account
setup). The one major criticism has been lack of cacheability of the
individual resources included in the multiget.

So in your example, if one client did MGET (image1, image2) and another did
GET (image1) then ideally the second could be returned by the cache. So
would we expect caches to be able to "split-up" the resources in an MGET so
it could serve them up individually for a GET, or in some other combination
for a different MGET?

--
Cyrus Daboo