Stateful compression of cookies (Re: Delta Compression and UTF-8 Header Values)

... sounds like an oxymoron.

HOWEVER, we can probably use a combination of server-side state stored
[encrypted] in state cookies, small session identifiers, and
server-side caching of state cookies.  Clients would normally only
send the [small] session IDs, and would send the cookies only when the
server needs them to [re-]establish state after it falls off the
server's cache.