Stateful compression of cookies (Re: Delta Compression and UTF-8 Header Values)

From: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:09:15 -0600
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
... sounds like an oxymoron.

HOWEVER, we can probably use a combination of server-side state stored
[encrypted] in state cookies, small session identifiers, and
server-side caching of state cookies.  Clients would normally only
send the [small] session IDs, and would send the cookies only when the
server needs them to [re-]establish state after it falls off the
server's cache.