Re: Delta Compression and UTF-8 Header Values

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:29:12 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
cc: Frédéric Kayser <f.kayser@free.fr>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
--------
In message <20130210101248.GQ8712@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 09:38:03AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> The only two places which care about the character-set of the URL,
>> is the ultimate client and the ultimate server, to everybody else,
>> it is just a sequence of opaque bits, which they must treat as a
>> indivisible unit.
>
>It's not that much opaque when your "HTTP router" has to be able to
>match part of that URL to decide where to route the requests.

First of all, the only non-semantic criteria you can route HTTP
requests on are the Host: header.  (Which we just pass to DNS,
so we don't care if it is UTF-8 or not).

As soon as you look at the URL, you dive into semantics, and you
had better have an agreement with the content-provider about what
those semantics (including char-set) and routing-criteria should be.