Re: Framing and control-frame continuations

From: Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 06:27:24 +0200
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 03:50:12PM +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 7/02/2013 3:23 p.m., Ilari Liusvaara wrote:

> >Assuming the following:
> >- Implicit upgrade to TLS mid-connection is not needed. And
> >- There is overall connection magic (to break HTTP/1.x).
>
> Yes. I assume the same. This magic is the first octets of a
> connection and cannot be used elsewhere safely.
> Once some other protocol has been started we must use that protocols
> defined Upgrade mechanism to change to HTTP/2 explicitly.

Er, what?

- I see no reason to avoid connection magic from occuring elsewhere
- Websockets needs confirmation that the server is of the right
  type for security reasons.

Now if HTTP2 contained built-in websocket-like functionality, then
confirming HTTP2 server would be enough (this would be enough even
if such functionality was optional).

> Intentional. So that HTTP/2 can be defined as an extension to
> WebSockets and clients Upgrade: to it from inside WebSockets cleanly
> - broken WebSockets implementations mishandling the WS Upgrade frame
> will see the HTTP/2 initial handshake as a 0-length frame with FIN
> set.

Upgrade: from inside websockets? That makes absolutely no sense
to me. AFAIK, there is no Upgrade: in websockets (it only uses
one to switch HTTP -> Websockets).

-Ilari