Re: moving forward on draft-lear-httpbis-svcinfo-rr

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:32:58 +0900
To: "William Chan (陈智昌)" <willchan@chromium.org>
CC: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
First, what others (e.g. Mark) said. Second, some details below.

On 2013/02/06 6:27, William Chan (陈智昌) wrote:

> If we stuff SETTINGS into the DNS record, we'd have to keep in mind
> TTL. Either the record would need to include TTL info for the
> SETTINGS, or it'd have to be coupled with the record's TTL, which I
> think is probably undesirable.

I think you mean that you want the SETTINGs in the DNS record to have a
shorter TTL than the record itself. But that couldn't possibly work. The
browser would understand the SETTINGs and would poll DNS with an
interval corresponding to the higher SETTINGs TTL, but DNS caches would
only use the lower DNS record TTL and therefore wouldn't get updated.

Regards,   Martin.