Re: URI path starting with "//"

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 12:07:49 +1100
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Quickly tested the URI <http://www.mnot.net//index.html> on Safari, Chrome and Firefox (all OSX); all of them emitted the bits on the wire as anticipated (i.e.., GET //index.html). Squid didn't rewrite it, Apache happily served it, internally rewriting to /index.html (which is its choice).

Is this confusing for folks who are authoring links? Absolutely, considering that these will point to different resources:

http://example.com//foo
//foo <-- assuming base URI is http://example.com/

That said, we appear to have interop, so I think we need to change it back, so as to allow it.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/