Re: http/2 prioritization/fairness bug with proxies

On Feb 3, 2013 10:26 PM, "Yoav Nir" <ynir@checkpoint.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I think the third option (separate streams for each client) is the most
fair. Whatever mechanism is used by the server for fairness among clients
will be at work here. What is the downside here, wasting TCP sockets?

Using separate connections is generally suboptimal for all the reasons we
are adding multiplexing.

> What if we added a header (or a field to a header) called
proxy-disambiguation, where the proxy assigns a short (16-bit? 32-bit?)
identifier for each real client. That way the issue of
prioritization/fairness gets pushed to the server where it belongs.

That's an option if we agree we should change the protocol to support
stream grouping. I'm focusing now on that decision, not on the choice of
the actual mechanism.

> Where is the SPDY/4 prioritization proposal described?

I didn't link to it earlier because I wanted to focus on the stream
grouping concept and not the other aspects of the proposal.