Re: URI path starting with "//"

From: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:07:38 -0600
To: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer@ngtech.co.il>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer@ngtech.co.il> wrote:
> I have a question:
> What a *path* starting with "//" effect is?
> can it harm something?

Possibly.  POSIX allows // to be special (because some OSes used to
treat that differently than just an absolute path).  You might get
special handling of the first component (it's a server name!) or
whatever.  But nowadays POSIXy systems all (I think) treat that the
same as just one /.  On Windows \\ -> UNC, and / is often mapped to
\\, so yes, it might cause harm. but it depends in part on what the
web server does with such a path -- it needn't be a filesystem path,
after all, or it might be taken to be relative to another path (doc
root), in which case // means nothing special on POSIXy systems (POSIX
doesn't allow special meaning for // except at the front of a path).
So.... in conclusion, I think // is mostly harmless.

Nico