Re: Do we kill the "Host:" header in HTTP/2 ?

From: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:34:56 -0600
To: "Adrien W. de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, RUELLAN Herve <Herve.Ruellan@crf.canon.fr>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer@ngtech.co.il>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Adrien W. de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't stop there.
>
> * split querystring into individual tuples as well and put them in a
> querystring sub-section.

If you are talking about x-www-form-urlencoded query format, it is
very specific to HTML form submission. Not all server applications use
that format to construct queries. So it's inappropriate for HTTP to
pick it as *the* query format.

> * deprecate %encoding (no longer needed since nothing is parsed)

While %encoding sucks, many applications treat URIs as opaque char
sequences instead of structured data, so some escaping is unavoidable.

Zhong Yu