RE: Do we kill the "Host:" header in HTTP/2 ?

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:17:00 -0800
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>
CC: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, "Adrien W. de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer@ngtech.co.il>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
> High-performance implementations would not have to text-process the entire
> header to find the fqdn they use for routing decisions.

One of the design goals of the "host:" header was that most sites could ignore the host header except to insure there is one.
The impact was only if those high-performance implementations were using single IP address for multiple host names.

(Which would kind of be antithetical to a high-performance deployment, no?)

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net