RE: bohe and delta experimentation...

I agree that in the general case, partial-text matches are unsafe when considering CRIME attack. After all, this is the basis of the Deflate mechanism.

However, I would think that the more limited usage I proposed for URLs is mostly safe:
- First it doesn't mix different sources of information: URLs are kept with URLs. If URLs are considered as sensitive, this isn't great as the CRIME attack vector was based on URLs.
- Second, only the most recent URLs are kept in cache: after a few tries from the attacker, the cache will contain only the URLs used by the attacker, and the attack target will have been evicted from the cache.

Therefore, I think that using a common prefix to encode URLs in a more compact way is safe. In addition, we should probably take a deeper look at the CRIME attack, and include in HTTP/2.0 other mechanism to prevent it, or at least to decrease the risks linked to it. For example, there could be rules on how HTTP/2.0 sessions can be reused.

Hervé.