Re: bohe and delta experimentation...

From: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:50:11 -0600
To: Frédéric Kayser <f.kayser@free.fr>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Frédéric Kayser <f.kayser@free.fr> wrote:
> I find BOHE interesting but I don't like the idea of mixing what is basically ASCII text (7 bits values with most of the C0 control codes never used) and binary data (full 8 bits wide values, the way it's used in BOHE it also means a lot of values in the low end -near zero-).

This is silly: we already have text and binary mixed all over the
place, such as in DNS, PKIX, Kerberos, SSHv2, and so on, and that's
never been a problem.  And how else should we encode textual values in
binary protocols anyways?  (I mean, besides using a Unicode encoding
rather than ASCII.)

> An entropy coder will have to cope with a larger alphabet than just ASCII since it is "polluted" by binary data (if it appears infrequently it may end up taking more than 8-bits).

Well, yes, so what?  We already apply generic compression algorithms
to so much mixed text and binary.  Clearly information theory does not
say it's impossible.

Nico