Re: delta encoding and state management

From: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:49:39 -0600
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> My main concerns with this approach are (a) even tho the decoder gets to set
> limits on the amount of state used, keeping that state around is still
> relatively expensive compared to what we have now, and (b) keeping it in
> sync with the client, server and any number of intermediaries along the path
> is likely going to prove difficult at best. We need to make sure we have a
> good understanding of the worst case scenario with this approach (i.e.
> nothing stored in context anywhere along the path).

If the compression is hop-by-hop then there's no synchronization
issues.  But then middleboxes may have to decompress and always
re-compress (even if the headers are left unmodified) in each
direction.

In general I'd much rather not have connection-oriented state at all,
not even if it were transparent to HTTP.

Nico