RE: bohe and delta experimentation...

James,

From our dataset (see [1]), about 20% of the response headers are dates. The second type of values to optimize would be integer, that correspond to roughly 15% of the response headers.

One caveat: sometimes the value of a header that should be a date is not a date. Therefore an escape mechanism must be provided to encode these values.

Another interesting thing to investigate is encoding a value relatively to a previous value, as was proposed by Willy Tarreau. This is especially efficient for URLs.

Hervé.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/85/slides/slides-85-httpbis-1.pdf