Re: Multiple header fields with the same field name - unwritten assumption about quoted commas in values?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> On 16/01/2013, at 10:57 AM, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com> wrote:
>> No.  I'm saying that it's OK for apps to do that but not any other
>> entities (middleboxes), mostly because middleboxes can't possibly know
>> about headers that hadn't been registered when they were implemented.
>
> OK. Is this an actual problem you've encountered?
>
> I'm fine with adding some clarifying text if it helps implementers, but I haven't seen this confusing any middlebox vendors; they tend to leave the bits alone...

I noticed Poul's and someone else's replies that in their middlebox
implementations they concluded that it's never safe to merge headers.
If that's the case (and I do think it follows from the facts that it
is the case) then we should say so rather than leave each implementor
to figure this out on their own.

Nico