Re: HTTPS, proxying, and all that...

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:24:26 +0000
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
cc: Ilya Grigorik <ilya@igvita.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
--------

>The problem you have IMO is that you're posing a requirement
>that's beyond the state of the art at least.

There is nothing "state of the art" about mixing p2p and e2e
trust and security, PTT's and banks have been doing it for
centuries.

The problem the HTTPbis effort has, is that it's trying to
improve on one of the worlds most popular and used protocols[1].

Addressing some of its actual user-perceived shortcomings would
be a very smart move from a marketing point of view.

Poul-Henning

[1] Yes, I'm lumping HTTP and HTTPS here, and that is administratively
wrong in IETF, but very common in the rest of the world.