Re: Multiple header fields with the same field name - unwritten assumption about quoted commas in values?

On 2013-01-09 18:36, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 2013-01-09 18:05, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
>>>
>>> This leads to some questions:
>>> What are the requirements on parser of conforming user agent in regard
>>> to parsing header fields' values? Is it required to parse header
>>> fields' values of all registered header fields? Is it required to
>>> parse header fields' values for header fields which it handles? Is it
>>> required to parse quoted-string values?
>>

>> I don't understand. Why (and how) would you "parse" field values that you
>> don't know? To "parse", you need an ABNF, no?
>
> Right, you need ABNF to parse; I did not say otherwise. However I
> don't see how this answers any of the above questions.
>
> Regards,
> Piotr

"Is it required to parse header fields' values of all registered header
fields?" -> No, why would it?

"Is it required to parse header fields' values for header fields which
it handles?" -> If it "handles" them it needs to parse them, no?

"Is it required to parse quoted-string values?" -> Yes, to the extent
it's needed to extract the information it needs (charset param on
Content-Type comes to mind).

Best regards, Julian