Re: Header Compression

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM, RUELLAN Herve
<Herve.Ruellan@crf.canon.fr>wrote:

> Second, it is a design choice not to have deletion: the mean of removing a
> header is to replace it with a new one. Another possibility is to use the
> automatic dropping of headers to remove the headers that were the oldest to
> be added to the table (see penultimate paragraph of section 3.1 Header
> Table).

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Just to make sure I understand:

I have a header "Example: ".  It's in position 3 in the index.  I want to
remove "Example: ".  To do so, I update position 3 with a new header, say,
"Fleen: ".  The Fleen header can be a no-op, a duplicate of another header,
or something I care about now and did not before.

Is that about right?

If so, I don't think the draft is clear on this point.   I think making an
explicit statement that there is no "delete" operation but that a similar
aim can be accomplished by updating an index position with a new header,
including a no-op header, would be useful.

regards,

Ted Hardie