#462, was: p5: editorial suggestions

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:35:07 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Done in <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/2296>.

> * 3.1 "...and only if the result of their evaluation is leading toward a 200 (OK) response."  This is a bit informal...

Any suggestions?

> * 3.1 "If all of the preconditions are true, the server supports the Range header field for the target resource, and the specified range(s) are invalid or unsatisfiable, the server SHOULD send a 416 (Range Not Satisfiable) response."
>
> Yet 4.4 says: "because servers are free to ignore Range, many implementations will simply respond with 200 (OK) if the requested ranges
> are invalid or not satisfiable."

Actually, they'd return 200 even *if* the range is both valid and
satisfiable, right? Should we clarify that?

> I think sometimes responding with 200 is the right thing to do here sometimes, and so we shouldn't put a requirement against it. We could either remove the SHOULD, or qualify it with something that allows the server to make a judgement call.

4.4 mentions as a possible reason to prevent clients from resubmitting
invalid requests; is this what we should mention here?

> * 4.3 first paragraph re-defines what validator strength is; this should just be a reference to p4.

But then it doesn't seem to say exactly the same thing.

> * 4.3 last paragraph places a requirement on clients to "record" sets of ranges; how exactly do they meet this requirement? Terminology seems strange.

Maybe "process"?

Best regards, Julian