Re: port #?

Hi Eliot,

Some comments in-line.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I note that we still haven't cleaned up the connection model
> sufficiently.  When someone implements a specification they need to know
> at least the port number to connect to. This is the document that has to
> specify at least at a bare minimum how that happens.  This can be
> handled in at least one of four ways:
>
> 1.  We refer to RFC-2616 normatively.  This implies that we will not
> obsolete 2616 at this time.  If we do so later we would need to pull the
> HTTP URI definition out and update the IANA definition.

Other httpbis documents obsolete 2616, so we should refer to those, rather
than 2616.

> 2.  We pull the HTTP URI definition out and produce a small document for
> it separately and refer to that, updating RFC-2616.

3.  We include the URI definition in the HTTP2 draft.

If it needs to be re-iterated, I think having the reiteration within the
HTTP2 draft is fine.  But simply referring to whatever RFC
draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-13 becomes seems simpler.  That reinforces
the idea that HTTP2 and HTTP share the same URI synatx.

> 4.  We abstract the connection model entirely from the document.
> 5.  We specify that unless specified within a URI, the default protocol
> is TCP and the default port is 80.
>
> This all came to light because of interest to do some work with HTTP2
> using something other than TCP.  Thus, one might thing that [4] is the
> appropriate thing to do, but my experience with BEEP is that it lends
> itself to an ugly set of documents and violates the KISS principle.  To
> that end, I recommend the text in [5] be added for now, and that as
> HTTP2 matures we consider [2] later.
>
> So, I think saying that new transports may mint new URI schemes
(http.newfangled) is safe enough; they may.  But I'm not sure whether that
adds much value.  What's the harm in simply referring to
draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging for the URI syntax and leaving it at that
for the moment?

regards,

Ted