Re: HTTP URI in the form of "http://example.com?query"

No, the URI is correctly handled by all relevant implementations.
There is no opportunity for error handling while parsing a URI,
so it is useless to create corner cases where a parser doesn't
know what string is associated with which component.

The ABNF in 2616 was known to be buggy since before it was even
published, so I have no interest in considering it further.

The definition of http URIs in practice is that they accept any
string, parse according to the regex in 3986, and fix such things
as an empty path as part of the request handling.  The only part
of HTTP that needs to consider this case is the creation of a
request-target, and we already have that requirement in the spec.

....Roy