Re: Questions on Server Push

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:07:58 -0700
To: Shigeki Ohtsu <ohtsu@iij.ad.jp>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 3 June 2013 17:02, Shigeki Ohtsu <ohtsu@iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> then  PUSH_PROMISE on step2 seemed to be sent from server on the
> half-closed stream 1. Do we need to change the spec so as to permit
> to send PUSH_PROMISE on a half-closed stream?

Half-closed is directional.  You can't send on a stream that is
half-closed in the direction you are sending, but you can send on the
open half.  If it weren't directional, the server couldn't send a
response.

> We would be glad if you add some notes about this after
> "After sending a PUSH_PROMISE, the server commences transmission of a pushed
> resource."
> in 4.3.1.

Yes, this text isn't completely correct.  It may commence
transmission, but it can wait before starting.

> It might be also related to the description to be written about the stream
> lifecycles
> as noted on http://http2.github.io/http2-spec/#rfc.comment.5

Stream lifecycles are still a work in progress.  If you have any
specific suggestions, that would be helpful, but at this stage, I'm
not sure that we have a good agreement on what the basics are.
Anything that we "fix" now will probably change later.

--Martin